Sexual Vitality: A game plan.
Reproductive hormones are responsible for our libido and sex drive, but these reproductive hormones also form part of an intricate system that affects your overall health. Reproductive hormones such as oestrogen and testosterone are balanced on a delicate scale in men and women. When the balance is disrupted by stress, mental or physical, illness or aging it can lead to symptoms such as:
- Reduced libido
- Mood changes or Mood swings
- Changes in Metabolism
- Change in Fat distribution
These are just of the symptoms that people may experience.
How do we rebalance our hormones to create a healthier reproductive system and improve our libido?
- The Basics: Nurturing your body with the correct diet.
Avoid excessive amounts of processed foods and rather eat homemade whole meals. (Think healthy carbs, vegetables, healthy fats and protein)
- Movement: Incorporating movement into your daily routine.
Regular exercise is good for your cardiovascular health as well as balancing hormones. These benefits assist in improving your libido, energy levels, metabolism and general wellbeing.
- Lifestyle: Stress & Sleep
Good quality sleep is important when it comes to keeping your hormones well balanced, so ensure that you wind down before bed and avoid using electronics in bed. Stress is another important lifestyle factor that affect sex drive and hormone function. Identify and acknowledge stressors and if the stressor can not be removed try to manage our stress levels as best you can. It may be helpful to try breathing exercises, debriefing to your support system or creating a habit that supports you during stressful times.
- Therapy: gaining a different perspective
There are many specialized therapists that can assist couples and individuals that are struggling with libido or who feel overwhelmed and frustrated by hormonal imbalances.
- Vitamin support: Vitamin B- Complex supplements can assist in stressful times and helps with nervous system function.
- Treatment: Herbal helpers
– Energizing herbs that assist with energy and libido include Panax ginseng, Tribulus & Rhodiola. It is important not to use too many stimulating herbs to prevent overstimulation which can lead to exhaustion over time.
– Herbs that can assist with tension and reduced libido are: Ashwagandha, Maca root, hawthorn & passionflower. (Shatavari specifically for women to improve cervical mucus & libido)
– Aphrodisiac foods include Cayenne, chocolate and garlic.
These are just some of the ways you can support your reproductive health and in turn assist in maintaining a healthy libido. If you are concerned or struggling it is important to seek medical advice.
If you have any further questions feel free to come in to speak to one of our health assistants. It is important to notify and check with your healthcare provider before starting any new medication.