Winter will soon be upon us and unfortunately with the change in climate comes ‘flu’, bronchitis and other associated illnesses.Boosting your immune system should be part of your health investment plan to see you through the cold and flu season. Each year, millions of people become ill with the flu, which often means sick days, out-of-pocket costs for doctors’ visits, additional money spent on over-the-counter and prescription medications and an overall run down feeling.
Mr M recommends….
‘Prevention is better than cure’
Mr.M himself rarely gets ill and practices what he preaches.
- Get vaccinated. Have your ‘FLU’ vaccination as soon as possible.
- Mr M has experienced the advent of many influenza viruses which have resulted in patients being hospitalized. He warns that no one really know how virulent this season’s ‘FLU’ virus will be and strongly recommends that the ‘FLU’ Vaccination be taken and seen as an absolute essential in preparation for ‘FLU’ season.
- Everyone should get vaccinated but prevention is essential especially in the following categories: *children under 2 yrs, *adults over 65 years, *pregnant women, *residents of nursing homes or care facilities, *people with asthma,diabetes, heart conditions, HIV and smokers ,*people travelling to other countries.
- Mr M also notes that there has not been an official ‘FLU’ epidemic in the last few years and he believes that this can be attributed to the fact that more and more people are realizing the importance of the ‘FLU’ vaccination.
- Consider the flu shot, an effective way to stop flu transmission and maintain productivity in the workplace, by ensuring absenteeism from the workplace could be reduced by as much as 78% with vaccination;1
- VAXIGRIP FLU VACCINE is available at M-KEM’S Clinics at 99.
Gillian Watson, Pharmacist and partner at M-KEM recommends
Boost your immune system:
- When our immune systems are robust and the viral exposure is relatively limited we shrug off any attacks, but when the viral contact is repeated, or when our immune systems are compromised at the change of season, or in the cold of winter, we succumb, and get a cold, or flu.
- It is imperative that your immune system is robust before the onset of cold and flu season.
- M-KEM has an extensive range of high quality Immune Booster brands and staff with the expertise to advise you as to what would best suit you and your family’s needs.
- In addition to this, it is advisable to ensure there is plenty of Vitamin C in your diet and to consider taking a Zinc supplement – a powerful anti-oxidant and immune Booster
Leigh Hershaw, Pharmacist and partner at M-KEM recommends
Practical preventative measures when it comes to ‘FLU’:
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Drink plenty of fluids – ideally water (1.5 to 2 L or 8 glasses daily)
- Get enough sleep – at least 6-8 hours a night
- Wash your hands often and keep surfaces clean, eg. keyboards and cellphones
- Avoid contact with people who are sick
- Stop smoking
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth without washing your hands
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue if you cough or sneeze.